When it comes to the food, the fuel, that we put in our bodies we need to pay close attention. Whether you have goals that are performance based, aesthetically oriented goals, or if you just want to feel good, your ability to achieve those goals will be highly dependent upon the food that you consume. That is the reason that we provide all of our 12 Week Custom Plan clients with both exercise and nutrition plans.
With that being said, if you are going to invest the time, energy and the money in fueling your body properly it is probably safe to assume that you want to get as much return from that investment as possible in the form of results! One fantastic tool that can be implemented to help ensure that you are getting the most out of the food that you put into your body is the use of some sort of digestion aid. Before our bodies can make use of the nutrients that are contained in our food, the food needs to be broken down and processed by the body. Some bodies are going to have a more difficult time than others and that can be due to a number of issues. Allergies, inflammation, and a host of other obstacles can play a major role in your bodies’ ability to assimilate the nutrition provided by your diet.
In the video above we show you a very cost effective, homemade digestion aid that can be made from 5 simple ingredients found in almost any supermarket or grocery store. The best part about this particular digestion aid is that all of the ingredients included provide a number of health promoting characteristics. When combined with our Shedfat Daily Tea this mixture of natural ingredients will not only assist your body with more efficient digestion and utilization of the nutrients that you consume but they will also promote detoxification, overall health and wellness making you feel better and more prepared to take on the challenges that lay ahead!
– Turmeric – the active compound curcumin is a natural anti-inflammatory which can help prevent heart disease, cancer, and a host of other illnesses. Curcumin has been shown to increase the bodies antioxidant capacity protecting us from the effects of free radicals. Additionally, curcumin has been shown to boost Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor which is linked to improved brain function and decreased risk of brain disease!
– Cinnamon – Just like turmeric, cinnamon has strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Cinnamon has also been shown to have a positive effect on insulin sensitivity which can prove particularly beneficial for individuals with Type II diabetes or anyone that has blood sugar control issues. The active compound Cinnamaldehyde has been shown to fight against a host of bacterial and fungal infections while other compounds found in this miracle spice have been shown to help protect the brain and nervous system against diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
– Ginger – Yet another substance with strong Anti-inflammatory properties, ginger has also been shown to provide a host of health benefits. Ginger has been shown to have strong anti-nausea effects. Additionally, ginger may have the ability to reduce muscle pain and soreness and may even help with osteoarthritis. Just like cinnamon, ginger has been shown to have positive effects on blood sugar levels and may even assist in lowering cholesterol levels. This spice has been shown to have positive effects on brain health as well.
– Lemon Juice – This fruit has numerous associated health benefits. For starters, lemons are the only food with a negative charge (anionic) whereas all other food have a positive charge. This can be useful in a number of ways particularly in helping restore pH balance within the body. Lemons act as a liver detoxifier and stimulate the production of uric acid which aids greatly with digestion. Another benefit of lemon juice is that it stimulates peristalsis in the bowels helping the body eliminate waste products more efficiently. Citric acid which is found in high concentrations in lemons can dissolve gallstones and kidney stones. Lemons are a good source of vitamin P which is found in has been shown to increase the strength and integrity of blood vessels in the body which can prove beneficial in treating high blood pressure. If that is not enough to convince you of this fruits power, lemons have also been shown to contain 22 anti-cancer compounds!
– Honey – Similar to cinnamon honey has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. In addition, raw natural honey helps regulate blood sugar due to the fact that it has a profile composed of fructose and glucose and some honeys actually have a low glycemic index! Honey is a probiotic and is a source of a number of good bacteria that can help support gut and digestive health. Honey has even been shown to have positive effects on skin and can be used to treat wounds and burns, so not only is it powerful when used inside of the body but it proves beneficial when applied externally as well.
- 1-2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- ½-1 Tbsp ginger
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 Tbsp honey
*Base Liquid of Choice (hot water, almond/cashew/coconut milk)
By Vic M.
B.S. Exercise Science, NSCA-CSCS Certified